Saturday 24 August 2013

Christmas Eve Parcels

Every year for the past few years I had developed the family tradition of getting new festive pyjamas on Christmas Eve a little further. In 2010 I simply used a little ribbon to tie up a set of pyjamas, a pair of cosy socks and a mini box of chocolates. The next year I packed the pyjamas, socks and sweets into decorated brown paper and ribbon with a large candy cane tied into the ribbon which I then sat under the Christmas tree until Christmas Eve Evening.
Last year I pulled out all the stops and along with some fetching tartan pyjamas, Scandinavian-style slipper socks and a gold topped glass jar of traditional sweets I included a copy of 'The Jolly Christmas Postman' which was a childhood favourite among all of us despite the range in ages. Other surprises were included on Christmas Eve including a Hot Chocolate Station in the kitchen (which I will recreate this year).
For my parents, biscuits, whisky, Christmas tea and Indian sweets replaced some items. I wrapped all the parcels in some beautiful decoupage paper sheets I found in Paperchase and finished with some embroidered East of India ribbon and fabric tape in red and white polka dots.
I also made a family parcel including a DVD of 'Miracle on 34th Street' and a giant red faux-mink throw (not pictured...it was enormous and the single cosiest thing I have ever touched and only £16!!!!!)


Here is the finished product under the fake tree we have in the smaller living room.


This year I wanted to do something a little different just to keep it interesting.
I decided instead of parcels I would fill personalised hessian sacks which then could be used as the sacks they leave out for Father Christmas to fill. I bought these Harrow & Green sacks (the larger ones in the picture) in January this year as I just missed out on them last year.


Instead of opening them at 6pm on Christmas Eve as we usually do these are designed to be taken to bed with them. Of course they can open them any time on Christmas Eve evening but they should be taken up to bed with them in their entirety.
Inside I plan to include;
A set of soft, festive pyjamas and socks
A book to read themselves to sleep with
A bag of lavender to help them sleep
A small Christmas toiletries bag with miniature toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, lavender soap and a flannel.
A bag of treats only to be opened the following morning.
An early Christmas present
and a miniature hot water bottle-shaped hand warmers
And that is just what is INSIDE the sack...just wait for my Christmas Eve Evening plan post!

Primark makes really lovely and cheap Christmas pyjamas and socks so I will be heading there as soon as their festive stock comes in and I will post pictures. A brand new set of pyjamas is a lovely thing to go to sleep in on such a special night and the socks can be worn overnight or just in the morning to shield their bare feet from the ice cold morning wooden floors.

This year's book is going to be another childhood classic, 'Father Christmas' by Raymond Briggs. It is an amusing and yet distinctly Christmassy book that can be appreciated by a wide variety of ages.



Lavender helps people relax and sleep so a bag of lavender by their pillow will be a sweet addition to the stocking. These little lavender filled organza bags are incredibly cheap at only £4 for 12 and available in a variety of coloured bags. 

The toiletries are going to be in a miniature version of the Harrow & Green sacks where you can choose the letter of the person's name to go on the sack. I will then fill it with the miniature toiletries including a lavender soap to aide with sleep and relaxation. This is more of a novelty than a necessity as they will have their own toothbrush and paste of course.


The small bag of treats only to be opened on Christmas morning is detailed in the previous post.

The early Christmas present will be just that, simply one of the presents that I have bought for them for Christmas that I will place in the stocking rather than their giant present box (yet another post to come on that too). They can choose to open it early or wait 'til the morning if they wish.

The miniature hand warmers in the shape of hot water bottles will help warm their toes and fingers when they first get into bed. Our central heating never works so the house is always very cool in winter so this is a much needed addition.

I will also be recreating a family Christmas Eve parcel with a DVD to watch and a giant blanket to sit under but this will be explained more comprehensively in the Making of the Christmas Parcels post. 

Once I have collated all of the pieces I will make another post on how I put it all together and finished it.



No comments:

Post a Comment